This Internet of Things (Data) MSc programme at Queen Mary University of London has been specifically designed to meet the industry need for a new kind of IT specialist.
- Engineer new interactive smart devices (things) including hardware, software, physical object, and human interaction co-design.
- Acquire, fuse and analyse data collected from multi-sensors embedded in smart objects using AI and data science driven approaches.
- Interconnect new and existing devices as part of larger and more diverse systems.
- Learn and apply new paradigms such as edge computing, 5G cellular networks and many-to-many protocols such as MQTT.
- Work with the most up-to-date technologies - each topic is backed up by our world-leading research centres and groups
- Fulfil the educational requirements for registration as a Chartered Engineer, accredited by The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
What you'll study
This programme teaches you practical skills, underpinned by core theories so that you are able to gain expertise in the key skill areas of the internet of things.
Through a combination of compulsory and elective models, you will explore a range of industry-relevant data analysis skills. These include Applied Statistics, where you will use the R-Language to find patterns in data; Big Data Processing using Google’s MapReduce & Apache Hadoop; Machine Learning using Keras and Data Analytics using Python.
During the programme, you will also gain fundamental practical skills and learn how to engineer new smart devices. We teach you how to prototype innovative smart objects for IoT. You will focus on using a range of sensors, actuators and microcontroller and microcomputer boards, especially for location determination such as: air quality sensing, human activity recognition and robotics.
We also teach you how to interconnect new and existing things to each other. We cover a range of networks including short-range, such as Near Field Communication and wireless personal area networks like Bluetooth and ZigBee. We also explore local area networks like Wi-Fi and cellular networks such as 5G and 6G, as well as cloud computing and edge computing.
Programme StructureModules include:
- Mobile Services
- Security and Autentication
- Enabling Communication Technologies for IoT
- Machine Learning
- Electronic Sensing
- Mobile and WLAN Technologies
- Big Data Processing
- Cloud Computing
- The Semantic Web
- Digital Media and Social Networks
- Applied Statistics
- Data Analytics
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Technology Data Science & Big Data Human Computer Interaction View 416 other Masters in Data Science & Big Data in United Kingdom
- A 2:1 or above at undergraduate level in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Mathematics or a related discipline.
- Good knowledge of computer programming is highly recommended.
International25150 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25150 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11850 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.