The program offers both a theoretical and applied approach to working with students' literacy problems in the classroom. Candidates learn to assess reading difficulties, implement appropriate literacy instructions, and use data-driven instruction to plan school-wide literacy programs.
Students enrolled in the reading specialist program take 27 credits to meet the competencies for K-12 reading specialist certification in Pennsylvania. Unlike other programs, students take a course in structured literacy and an optional structured literacy practicum. Students interested in earning a master's in literacy are then required to take nine additional credits to complete the program (36 credits required for master's degree with an additional one credit option).
Full tuition scholarships are available for the structured literacy standalone course and/or the practicum. Students enrolled in the reading specialist program and local teachers take the course each year. Once students complete this course, they are then given the option to add a practicum so candidates can apply the skill set learned in the classroom. Both the course and optional practicum are aligned with the International Dyslexia Association's Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading.
Scholarships up to 50% off of tuition as well as graduate assistantships are now available. The Reading Specialist program is a one-year certification program that meets the needs of working adults. Classes are offered in the evenings in eight-week sessions with an on-campus practicum. Students can pursue a Master’s in Literacy with an additional nine credits.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Educational Statistics
- Educational Research Seminar
- Inst Leadership Capstone
- Reading Across Curr and Ell
- Curr Trends/Issues In Literacy
- Found/Prin Of Literacy Instruc
- Assess/Interven Early Literacy
- Assess/Interven In Adoles Lite
- Ldshp/Superv Read Spec/Lit Coa
- Practicum-Clinical Experience
- Read/Spec Ed: Instr Meth/Prac
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation View 3525 other Masters in Education in United States
- Apply online for free
- All applicants must submit official transcripts of all undergraduate course work and graduate course work, if applicable.
- Official test scores applicable to the program of choice should be requested from ETS (GMAT, GRE) or the Psychology Corporation (MAT) and sent directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Certain programs require additional materials to be submitted and an interview with the Program Director.
International930 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 930 USD per credit and a duration of .
National930 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 930 USD per credit and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.