The program offers both a theoretical and applied approach to working with students' literacy problems in the classroom. Candidates learn to assess reading difficulties, implement appropriate literacy instructions, and use data-driven instruction to plan school-wide literacy programs.
Students enrolled in the Literacy - Reading Specialist Certification at Robert Morris University take 27 credits to meet the competencies for K-12 reading specialist certification in Pennsylvania. Unlike other programs, students take a course in structured literacy and an optional structured literacy practicum. Students interested in earning a master's in literacy are then required to take nine additional credits to complete the program (36 credits required for master's degree with an additional one credit option).
Full tuition scholarships are available for the structured literacy standalone course and/or the practicum. Students enrolled in the reading specialist program and local teachers take the course each year. Once students complete this course, they are then given the option to add a practicum so candidates can apply the skill set learned in the classroom. Both the course and optional practicum are aligned with the International Dyslexia Association's Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading.
Scholarships up to 50% off of tuition as well as graduate assistantships are now available. The Reading Specialist program is a one-year certification program that meets the needs of working adults. Classes are offered in the evenings in eight-week sessions with an on-campus practicum. Students can pursue a Master’s in Literacy with an additional nine credits.
- Educational Statistics
- Educational Research Seminar
- Inst Leadership Capstone
- Reading Across Curr and Ell
- Curr Trends/Issues In Literacy
- Found/Prin Of Literacy Instruc
- Assess/Interven Early Literacy
- Assess/Interven In Adoles Lite
- Ldshp/Superv Read Spec/Lit Coa
- Practicum-Clinical Experience
- Read/Spec Ed: Instr Meth/Prac
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Area & Cultural Studies Creative Writing View 4368 other Masters in Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants must submit official transcripts of all undergraduate course work and graduate course work, if applicable.
- Official transcripts from all schools attended, whether or not some of the work is shown as advanced standing on your transcripts, must also be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Robert Morris University offers over 20 graduate degrees, six doctoral programs, and a wide menu of certificates, certifications, and endorsements. Each program has their own unique admissions criteria and credentials to be submitted.
International28800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 960 USD per credit during 12 months.
National28800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 960 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.