Global health crises demand solutions that move beyond established public health responses. This Development and Global Health MA programme offered at Queen Mary University of London will help you to contemplate more comprehensive solutions to the long-term developmental needs of local communities.
- Challenge conventional ways of approaching questions of global health and international development, while also considering alternative ways of promoting and securing advances in human well-being
- Gain a detailed understanding of emerging debates and agendas within development and global health policy and practice
- Engage with world-leading academics in the School of Geography, with opportunities to take electives in the School of Medicine & Dentistry and the School of Business Management
- Develop field-based research skills through a field trip to Mumbai or Geneva
What you'll study
You will gain a solid grounding in geographical thought and practice, and will consider issues of the geography of global health. You will be challenged to examine the intersections between questions of international development and global health, using a critical geographical approach to question established theories, practices and policies. There will be opportunities to learn about new approaches to global public health and project management through interdisciplinary elective modules.
You will experience training and one-to-one tailored supervision as you develop independent desk-based and field research through a dissertation.
You will be able to extend your understanding of these topics through optional field trip to Mumbai and Geneva. You will also be able to develop your research skills and experiences by undertaking an independent research project and fieldwork. This will be supported by research training as well as one-to-one tailored supervision from experienced researchers.
You will have the opportunity to attend weekly research seminars and research framework sessions with top-level academic researchers.
This programme also offers students the opportunity to undertake an unpaid internship with London International Development Centre (LIDC) while studying. LIDC will take on up to 4 Masters students as interns per year. Learn more here.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCompulsory/Core modules
- Geographical Thought and Practice
- Retheorising Development Futures
- Global Working Lives
- Migration and Mobilities
- Researching Development in Practice: Mumbai Unbound
- Researching Global Health: Geneva Fieldclass
- Dissertation 12,000 Words
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesInternational Development Health Management Health Sciences View 352 other Masters in International Development in United Kingdom
- A 2:1 or above at undergraduate level in a relevant subject.
- Candidates that do not currently meet the set entry requirements may also have the option to study the Graduate Diploma in Humanities and Social Sciences. Meeting the required grades on completion of this programme will provide a pathway to study MA Development and Global Health.
International19250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19250 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10450 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £5,250
- International: £9,650
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.