A Data Scientist is a highly skilled professional, who is able to combine state of the art computer science techniques for processing massive amounts of data with modern methods of statistical analysis to extract understanding from massive amounts of data and create new services that are based on mining the knowledge behind the data. The job market is currently in shortage of trained professionals with that set of skills, and the demand is expected to increase significantly over the following years.
Big Data Science course offered at Queen Mary University of London leverages the world-leading expertise in research at Queen Mary with our strategic partnership with IBM and other leading IT sector companies to offer to students a foundational MSc on the field of Data Science. The MSc modules cover the following aspects:
- Statistical Data Modelling, data visualization and prediction
- Machine Learning techniques for cluster detection, and automated classification
- Big Data Processing techniques for processing massive amounts of data
- Domain-specific techniques for applying Data Science to different domains: Computer Vision, Social Network Analysis, Bio Engineering, Intelligent Sensing and Internet of Things
- Use case-based projects that show the practical application of the skills in real industrial and research scenarios.
Students will be offered lectures that explain the core concepts, techniques and tools required for large-scale data analysis. Laboratory sessions and tutorials will put these elements to practice through the execution of use cases extracted from real domains. Students will also undertake a large project where they will demonstrate the application of Data Science skills in a complex scenario.
The programme is offered by academics from the Networks, Centre for Intelligent Sensing, Risk and Information Management, Computer Vision and Cognitive Science research groups from the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Applied Statistics
- Big Data Processing
- Data Mining
- MSc Project
- Cloud Computing
- Data Analytics
- Digital Media and Social Networks
- Deep Learning and Computer Vision
- Introduction to the Internet of Things
- Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
- Machine Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Semi-structured Data and Advanced Data Modelling
- Machine Learning for Visual Data Analysis
- The Semantic Web
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesData Science & Big Data View 216 other Masters in Data Science & Big Data in United Kingdom
- Completed application form
- Degree transcripts. Please provide a transcript of your degree(s). If you have not yet completed your degree please provide a transcript of your results achieved to date
- Please provide the contact details of two referees on your application, at least one reference must be from an academic referee who is in a position to comment on the standard of your academic work and suitability for postgraduate level study. Where appropriate, a second referee can provide comment on your professional experience.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)/ Resume
- Statement of purpose
International23950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23950 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA10900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10900 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.