Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology are exciting and rewarding professions consisting of professionals who provide services to individuals with communications disorders. This Speech and Hearing Science degree is offered at Tennessee State University.
- Speech-Language Pathologists (SLP) work in a variety of work settings, including schools and hospitals. There are an estimated 188,000+ ASHA certified speech-language pathologists. These professionals assess and treat a variety of speech, language, and swallowing disorders in persons of all ages.
- Speech disorders include problems with speech sound production (articulation), fluency (stuttering), and voice disorders. Language disorders are characterized by difficulties in the comprehension or expression of organized symbols. SLPs also help clients with swallowing disorders, possibly due to a stroke or surgery, which may lead to life-threatening conditions.
- Audiologists work in a variety of settings and serve individuals from birth to adulthood. Audiologists are trained at the doctoral level to diagnose and treat individuals with hearing and balance disorders.
- Speech, language, and hearing scientists investigate and develop evidence-based methods for diagnosing and treating communication disorders. Although speech, language and hearing scientists may practice with a master's degree or clinical doctorate, most acquire a research doctorate in the discipline of speech-language pathology or audiology .
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism
- Speech, Hearing and Language Disorders
- Clinical Methods in Articulation Disorders
- Language and Speech Development in Children
- 30 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLinguistics Speech Pathology View 611 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
- A completed application for Admission to Graduate School and a non-refundable $35.00 application fee
- Official transcripts and authorized school records with a course-by-course listing of courses and grades received; such transcripts must have been evaluated by a foreign educational credential agency, at the student’s expense.
- Copy of current, valid passport.
- Evidence of financial resources sufficient to provide tuition and fees for the academic year (minimum of $28,500 USD) and an affidavit of support.
- All international students applying for admission who have a student visa shall submit a certificate from a licensed physician or the qualified medical authority verifying freedom from tuberculosis within thirty (30) days from the first day of classes.
- After admission, copies of Visa, I-94, or Alien Registration card must be submitted to Mark Gunter, Director of International and Multicultural Affairs, before student may enroll
International13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6690 USD per semester during 30 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6690 USD per semester during 30 months.
In-State6396 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3198 USD per semester during 30 months.
Living costs for Nashville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.