The programme is taught through a series of modules including “Modern Warfare I”, “Modern Warfare II” and “Strategic & Security Studies”. These modules provide an introduction to the key concepts, theories and debates in this field. No specialist knowledge is required and this MA programme will appeal to anyone interested in history, international relations, security studies and war studies.
The programme has attracted international students and significant links have been forged with military academies in the USA, the UK and the Netherlands.
Assessment is through a mix of written assignments and in-class presentations. Students also develop a 20,000 word thesis on a subject of their choice. There is much emphasis on independent study.
Graduates from this Military History and Strategic Studies programme from Maynooth University have gone on to work in IT, academic administration, third level education, the heritage industry, the Civil Service and also in the defence sector.
Military officers from the Irish Defence Forces, the USA and Germany have attended this programme for career advancement purposes.
Many graduates have engaged in further postgraduate research and have enrolled in PhD programmes in Maynooth University and elsewhere.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Modern Warfare
- Strategic and Security Studies
- The Evolution of Irish Landed Estates and Country Houses
- Readings in Modern European History
- Skills and Methods in History
- Master's Thesis Preparation
- Master's Thesis
- Medieval Ireland Elective (Ma)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMilitary Science History
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The normal admission requirement is for at least a Second Class Honours degree in history or other related disciplines within the Arts, Humanities or Social Sciences. Candidates may be asked to attend an interview.
- Individuals who do not meet the specified criteria may be accepted on a case-by-case basis where they are able to demonstrate equivalent relevant experience. Such candidates may be asked to provide an example of their written work and to attend an interview.
- Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.