It is designed for graduates of French who wish to take their study of French language, literature and culture to a deeper level and to enhance their language skills. A significant proportion of the course is delivered and assessed through French. Core teaching involves modules on writing and presentation skills in French, practical translation and research methodology.
The French programme from Maynooth University is designed around the theme of writing and exile, a topic that corresponds to departmental research expertise in the modern and early modern periods.
There are elective modules (taught through English) in women's writing, translation studies and conflict studies. The minor thesis (15,000-20,000 words) involves independent research and collaboration with a supervisor on an agreed subject.
Recent graduates from the taught MA in French have gone on to work in teaching at all levels, translating, administration involving use of Frenchand English, editing, management and tourism.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Skills 1: Data Collection
- Maternal Counternarratives
- Approaches To Translation Studies
- Theories Of Second Language Acquisition
- Language Endangerment And Revitalisation
- Advanced Francophone Literature And Culture
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages View 35 other Masters in Languages in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Candidates normally must have obtained at least a 2nd Class Honours Grade I in their primary degree, or equivalent (e.g. licence ès lettres). It is expected that students will also have spent a minimum of 1 year in a French-speaking environment. Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 12 months.
Part-time EU: 4,330
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.