Western Norway University of Applied Sciences, campus Haugesund, has educated well over 500 fire safety engineers over the last 20 years. We offer a Master's program in Fire Safety Engineering as one of only eight institutions in the world.
Fire Safety is becoming more and more important in today's society, and the need for knowledge and competence in this field is increasing rapidly.
The primary objective of this Fire Safety program from Western Norway University of Applied Sciences is to provide industry and society with highly qualified candidates who through in-depth knowlede in the field can contribute to a more fire safe society. One of the most important aspects in this context is measures to reduce risks related to major accidents.
The master's program is organized in close contact with industry partners focusing particularly on fire technical issues.
This program is only taught in English. It is also possible to apply for the program as a part time student.
HVL facilitates for students who wish to take a part of their education abroad, both through agreements with institutions abroad, or by facilitating it so that the students can travel on their own initiative to institutions HVL does not have an agreement with (so-called "free-mover").
HVL also recruits international students to this master's program. HVL has recently signed mobility agreements for Master in Fire Safety with the University of New Haven and University of Maryland, USA and UNI Magdeburg, Germany.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The master's program covers the following main topics:
- Measures (barriers) to prevent ignition and fire.
- Understanding of different scenarios for fire- and smoke development
- Modelling of fire- and smoke development, egress and risk to people, property and the environment
- Fire safety design
- Fire safety risk assessment
- Human behavior in fire and evacuation
- Fire prevention in businesses and municipality
- Communication and accident investigation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology View 21 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Norway
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants to the program are required to have a bachelor degree in Fire Safety Engineering.
- Applicants with another technological bachelor degree may also be considered for admission, if they in addition have passed the following courses from Western Norway University of Applied Sciences
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
No tuition fees for courses, but you will have to pay a minor study fee of about NOK 750,- per semester,
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.