In the wake of the abolition of regular border controls in Europe and the fall of the iron curtain, the field of Border Studies has opened up new objects of research and has experienced a noticeable development boost. At the same time European societies experience the challenges of new closing of borders.
The Border Studies program from University of Luxembourg provides students with the major concepts and analytical tools to understand the social, cultural, political and economic challenges of border regions and cross-border cooperations. Students gain theoretical knowledge of border problems, border cultures, border literatures and constructions of “otherness”.
Students acquire the needed skills to play a crucial part in the increasing discussions on national and European identities, worldwide mobilities, migration, cultural diversity, citizenship and cross-border cooperation – especially in the Greater Region.
The Master in Border Studies prepares for a career in cross-border and intercultural working settings, especially in border regions in Europe (such as the Greater Region) and beyond.
More specific career perspectives included:
- the economic sector (e.g. trade companies…);
- cultural agencies or institutions;
- the media;
- public administrations (e.g. cross-border regional and spatial planning, economic, cross-border public services);
- planning and promotion, cross-border cultural management, cross-border regional marketing
Saturday 19 November 2022 from 10.00 to 13.00 - Virtual Master’s Day of the University of Luxembourg! Meet and interact with our professors and choose the Master that suits you best! Learn more about our Master’s programmes and add the event to your calendar.
- Sustainable Development of Border Regions
- European integration
- Border Studies in Geography
- Border Studies from a Cultural Studies Perspective
- Research on Language Contact
- Border Identity
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Luxembourg and/or in Luxembourg, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the field of cultural studies, linguistics, literature, intercultural communication, social or spatial sciences.
- The programme is limited to 20 students. Selection is based on the application documents which should include a motivation letter, a Curriculum Vitae, certificates and diplomas of previous studies and a proof of written and oral language skills German, French and English.
- Courses are taught in German, French and English. For all three languages the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages level of B2 is required.
International400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 200 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 200 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- Registration fees: 200 € / semester
Living costs for Luxembourg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.