What to expect from studying this Materials Engineering program
To set you up for success in the real world, we've made research an integral part of our program. You'll be working with metals and alloys, polymers and composites, biomaterials, healthcare materials and devices, ceramics and glass, and nanomaterials for a wide array of applications.
This is in addition to your coursework, which will include classes such as Nanobiomaterials, Metals and Alloys, and Mechanical Behavior of Materials. Finally, depending on your individual goals, we have three different ways for you to earn your degree. For one, you'll research, prepare, and defend a thesis. You also have two non-thesis options: one with an emphasis on research and design, and the other emphasizing technology and engineering management. Each of these require research and a comprehensive exam to graduate.
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham offers a tri-campus Ph.D. program with the University of Alabama and the University of Alabama at Huntsville.
- From 2017 to 2018, the UAB School of Engineering had a big increase in research award funding, from $7.5 million to more than $16.7 million—a 122 percent increase over 12 months.
- 3 to 6 semester hours will be approved courses in mathematics, physical sciences, another engineering discipline or management (a maximum of 3 hours are allowed in management)
- Up to 9 semester hours may be at the MSE 500 level
- A full time graduate student is required to be registered for MSE 601 Materials Science and Engineering Seminar each fall and spring semester
- The student must complete 3 semester hours of MSE 698 Non-Thesis Research, involving an on-site research project (usually taken after completion of all coursework)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 1836 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United States
In addition to the general Graduate School admission requirements, requirements for admission to the Master of Science in Materials Engineering (MSMtE) include the following:
- 3.0 (A = 4.0) or better GPA on all undergraduate degree major courses attempted
- Scores on the GRE General Test are not required (but are accepted)
- The following minimum requirements for MSMtE apply to a student who has earned a baccalaureate degree from a program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET in materials or metallurgical engineering or in a similarly named engineering program. A student with an undergraduate degree in another field of engineering or in the physical sciences may also be accepted into the MSMtE program.
International40293 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1221 USD per credit during 12 months.
National37653 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1141 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State15906 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 482 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.