After completing the general admission requirements to the Departments of Music from Catholic University of America, a student who wishes to major in Vocal Performance must successfully complete an entrance recital of approximately 60 minutes duration for a faculty committee. This should include, recital lieder, art songs, and contemporary works displaying vocal proficiency in at least three languages. Graduate credits in private music instruction apply toward degree requirements beginning with the semester during which the entrance recital is passed.
Foreign language requirements
Foreign language prerequisites include two semesters of undergraduate study in each of the following languages: Italian, French, and German, with a grade of B or better, taken at an accredited college or university as approved by the adviser and dean. In lieu of taking undergraduate courses, students who place into Italian 103, French 103, or German 103 on the university's Modern Language Test will be considered to have satisfied the prerequisite requirement in the given language(s).
Coaching is available for graduate vocal performance majors by request, in the semester in which a recital is scheduled. Further coaching is available with permission of the adviser. For this coaching, students pay the elective study (higher) private instruction fee. Each vocal performance major is expected to audition for all opera productions and actively participate as assigned by the vocal division. This may entail specific roles or participation in opera chorus as needed.
A memorized solo public recital (MUS 902) of 70 minutes duration is required, to be presented following successful completion of a private hearing before a committee of the music school faculty.
- Voice Private Instruction
- Analytical Techniques
- Music History Elective
- Survey of Solo Vocal Literature
- Combined Lyric Diction
- History of Opera
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMusic Music Performance View 1113 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All entering graduate students in the Master of Music degree program in vocal performance must take the Music Theory Placement Examination and the Music History Placement Examination.
- Every International applicant needs to return a completed application.
- Submit a $60 nonrefundable application fee. Payment must be in the form of a check or money order payable in U.S. currency to The Catholic University of America.
- Demonstrate English language proficiency
- Submit confirmation of financial support
- Submit secondary school report with translated transcripts
- Receive your admission packet with visa information
- Secondary School Report
- Official/Attested Copy of Transcripts
International52190 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26095 USD per semester during 24 months.
National52190 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26095 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Washington, D. C.
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.