You'll master the design and application of new hardware, software and techniques used in creative and innovative technology. You'll design, create and manage a media development or research programme. You'll also learn to address research problems and apply your skills to advancing the creative technology industry.
This course can open doors to exciting careers in the entertainment and media industries.
What you'll experience
- Focus on creative problems and develop your portfolio skills, by shaping a project and responding to development issues and feedback.
- Design and develop your own software, systems, 2D/3D assets and innovative solutions
- Get hands-on with our sound studios and multimedia labs, packed with the latest kit used by professionals
- Use our industry-standard game content creation software, VR hardware, motion capture facilities and console development kits
Work experience and career planning
Specialist skills in the field of Creative Technologies are in demand, so depending on your project choice and career plans, you'll be able to find employment internationally in the fields of:
- Game design
- Art production
- Virtual reality development.
The leisure and entertainment sector also offers opportunities if you specialise in music technology. Other potential career paths include health and business, software and interfaces, installation and monitoring, contextual acoustic research and academic research.
A Master's in Creative Technologies will give you the specialist knowledge, analytical and problem-solving skills you'll need for a successful career in the field.
Our students have focused on a wide range of project topics, including:
- Computer game programming and technical design
- Virtual Reality for healthcare
- Education, training and simulation
- 3D modelling
- Sound design
- Animation design
- Motion capture
- Online audiovisual archiving
Once you graduate, our Careers and Employability service will help you to find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry. This support is available for up to 5 years, so we'll continue to help you advance in your career.
Teaching and Programme Assessment
Teaching methods on this course include:
- independent learning
You'll be assessed through:
- project proposals
- research and development papers
- reflective reports
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional, Academic and Research Development
- Project Context and Definition
- Project Design and Development
- Project Evaluation and Resolution
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Video Games & Animation Media Studies & Mass Media View 360 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
A minimum of a second-class honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject or a master's degree in an appropriate subject. Exceptionally, equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications will be considered. All applicants are subject to interview.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.