The Landscape Architecture at The City University of New York aims to reimagine and rethink the profession’s current and future challenges through the lens of environmental justice, including globalization, availability of natural resources, land management, and the climate emergency. The curriculum engages critical thinking about complex and indeterminate systems, empowering students to work across multiple scales of the urban landscape.
Who is this program for
Our program attracts activist students who seek to rethink accepted paradigms and implement actionable change in the public realm and the quality of public space in terms of equity, accessibility, and justice — climate justice, social justice, environmental justice, and multispecies justice.
Transforming the profession begins in the academy. Our landscape architecture program is committed to challenging the entrenched biases and historical canons of landscape architecture that have too long been accepted as the norm, and we support the clarity and resonance of our students’ diverse voices in the field.
All undergraduate backgrounds are welcome in the MLA I program.
The Master of Architecture I program is accredited. See the NAAB section of this site for more information and links regarding accreditation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Landscape Architecture Studio
- Landscape Technology
- Digital and Traditional Drawing
- Urban Ecology
- Environmental Planning
- Urban Plants
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Landscape Architecture Urban Planning View 384 other Masters in Architecture in United States
- A portfolio of creative work is required for all Spitzer School applicants. The portfolio should reflect your level of creative ability and creative process and can include drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, graphic design, furniture design, garden design, photography, crafts, or other types of work.
- Personal Statement/Essay (Personal Statement section)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Application Fee (US$75)
- GRE (optional, in Standardized Tests section)
- Students will be expected to start the program with an awareness of current versions of design software (AutoCAD, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop) and basic graphic design skills: color theory, fonts, and 2D layout. Students lacking these skills should take our late-summer, intensive digital “boot camp”—Spatial and Regional Representation—at the Spitzer School in order to gain proficiency prior to the fall semester.
International28350 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 945 USD per credit during 36 months.
National28350 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 945 USD per credit during 36 months.
- Full-Time - $6,485 per Semester
- Part-Time - $550 per Credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.