What's covered in the course?
The MA in Creative Writing at Birmingham City University is aimed at emerging writers, providing you with the skills and disciplines you need to advance.
It’s founded upon the philosophy that writers can benefit from the same kind of training enjoyed by actors, musicians, and visual artists.
The Creative Writing - MA is provided by Birmingham City University.
Admission to the course is based on talent, commitment and potential. Applicants submit a portfolio of writing, published or unpublished, and are then interviewed by members of the MA teaching team.
Applications are considered throughout the year for entry in September of any academic year.
You’ll have the opportunity to develop your writing in the forms of your choice – be it fiction, creative non-fiction, screenwriting, writing for theatre, or poetry – and extend your range in genres that may be new to you.
You’ll attend our programme of guest speakers and public events devoted to cultivating the creative imagination, the life of ideas and the literary arts, all organised by the Institute of Creative and Critical Writing based within the School of English.
As well as receiving specialist tuition from established writers, you’ll have exclusive access to six Masterclasses each year run by a Fellow of the Institute, a member of the MA team or a guest author.
These Masterclasses are based on the Conservatoire model of music tuition and involve an expert public close-reading of a volunteered student text.
Why Choose Us?
- You’ll learn from distinguished writers who are experts in their field.
- Our exciting programme of guest seminars, masterclasses and public events, held by the Institute of Creative and Critical Writing.
- We have a close relationship with Writing West Midlands, the literature development agency for our region, which also runs the Birmingham Literature Festival.
- We help you prepare for a career in writing. Our graduates have an excellent record of success with their work.
- You’ll be part of an outstanding centre of creativity in the Faculty of the Arts, Design and Media.
- Creative Non-Fiction
- Reading into Writing
- Final Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 218 other Masters in Creative Writing in United Kingdom
- You submit a portfolio of writing, published or unpublished, of recent creative work.
- This must be no more than ten pages long typed at 11pt. in any literary genre, of prose (2000 words fiction or non-fiction), and/or six - 10 poems, and/or 10 pages of playscript or screenplay. We also require two satisfactory references.
- We also require two satisfactory references.
- You will then be interviewed by members of the MA Creative Writing team.
- Applications will be considered throughout the year for entry in September of any academic year.
- Selection for a place on the course is based on your work and your interview.
International16300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7900 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.