The department is pluralist, with particular strengths in 19th and 20th Century Continental Philosophy, Ancient and Modern Philosophy, Feminist Theory, and Epistemology.
The philosophy faculty as a whole has a diverse array of interests, although many of us have research and/or teaching focus in the history of philosophy (especially Ancient, Modern, 19th Century, and 20th Century) and our program emphasizes the development of historical competence.
Our various interests and specialties allow us to offer courses in the traditions of both Continental philosophy and Analytic philosophy, as well as in the history of philosophy generally, understood as the common ground of both traditions. Our graduate students are similarly diverse in the range of their philosophical interests.
Graduates with Philosophy from Miami University will:
- gain diverse knowledge in the range of their philosophical interests
- live courageous and thoughtful lives by passing on to them the rich inheritance of the philosophical tradition: its great texts, its central problems and questions, and its distinctive methods of critical thought, reflection, questioning and self-questioning, lucid argumentation, and cogent writing
- Continental Philosophy
- Analytic Philosophy
- History of Philosophy
- Feminist Theory
- Ancient Philosophy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Political Science View 357 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Miami University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Completed Graduate School Application Forms and Application Fee
- GRE General Test Scores
- A Statement of Purpose - This statement (approximately 2 pages) must indicate your primary intellectual interests and the reasons why you wish to pursue an advance degree in philosophy in our department.
- A Writing Sample - Submit a philosophical paper (typically a 10-15 page term paper you wrote in an upper-division undergraduate course) that is representative of your intellectual work and your philosophical style.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
International12806 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6403 USD per semester during 24 months.
National12806 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6403 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Oxford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.