The Translation and Professional Practice course offered by the University of Essex is offered with the combination of English and one of Arabic, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. You can be a native or near-native speaker of any of these languages, as you learn to translate to and from both languages. You work with native speakers in developing your ability to move accurately and quickly between your chosen language and English.
This course gives you the tools to confidently deal with the translation specific genres like journalistic, promotional, medical- scientific, academic, technical and literary.
Areas of special study include:
- Principles of Translation
- Technologies of Translation I &II and Post editing
- Audio visual translation
- Intercultural Communication
- Translation Portfolios
The exponential growth of the translation industry and high demand for highly qualified translators and post-editors make it an ideal time to study translation. Our course will enable you to become fully fledged translators (including audio-visual translation), post-editors and proof-readers with a good knowledge of the business aspect of this art.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Principles of Translation and Interpreting
- Technologies of Translation
- Audiovisual Translation
- Technologies of Translation II and Post Editing
- Subtitling: Principles and Practice
- Intercultural Communication: communicating across languages and cultures
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Translation & Interpreting View 462 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- If your first language is English
- we will consider a 2:2 or above (or international equivalent) in French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish.
- If your first language is either French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish
- we will consider a 2:2 or above (or international equivalent) which includes English as a major component.
- Applicants may be required to successfully pass a Translation aptitude test.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19740 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9200 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home/UK fee: £4,600
- International fee: £9,870
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.