The Translation and Professional Practice course offered by the University of Essex is offered with the combination of English and one of Arabic, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. You can be a native or near-native speaker of any of these languages, as you learn to translate to and from both languages. You work with native speakers in developing your ability to move accurately and quickly between your chosen language and English.
This course gives you the tools to confidently deal with the translation specific genres like journalistic, promotional, medical- scientific, academic, technical and literary.
Areas of special study include:
- Principles of Translation
- Technologies of Translation I &II and Post editing
- Audio visual translation
- Intercultural Communication
- Translation Portfolios
The exponential growth of the translation industry and high demand for highly qualified translators and post-editors make it an ideal time to study translation. Our course will enable you to become fully fledged translators (including audio-visual translation), post-editors and proof-readers with a good knowledge of the business aspect of this art.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Principles of Translation and Interpreting
- Translation Portfolio I (Italian)
- Audiovisual Translation
- Technologies of Translation
- Translation Portfolio II (Italian)
- Technologies of Translation II and Post Editing
- Subtitling: Principles and Practice
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Translation & Interpreting View 118 other Masters in Translation & Interpreting in United Kingdom
- If your first language is English
- we will consider a 2:2 or above (or international equivalent) in French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish.
- If your first language is either French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanis
- we will consider a 2:2 or above (or international equivalent) which includes English as a major component.
- Applicants may be required to successfully pass a Translation aptitude test.
International18800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8760 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.