This Politics and Society programme at Erasmus University Rotterdam track:
- offers a unique sociological perspective on the interplay between politics and society;
- helps to develop in-depth insights and analytical skills using small-scale interactive tutorials;
- is taught by dedicated professors and evaluated (very) positively by our students
Within the current political landscape there is an urgent need for experts who understand the interrelationship between politics and society. As an expert you are able to analyse topical pressing issues such as rampant political cynicism and discontent, the rise of populism, and ‘floating’ electorates.
Furthermore, you are able to analyse topics in an unbiased and unprejudiced way and present your findings in a clear and concise manner to others.After graduation, you have gained a sharp analytical perspective as a sociologist. Furthermore, you will have thorough knowledge of social scientific research.
This know-how and these skills will provide a solid basis for favourable career opportunities in various fields. You could work for instance as a:
- Policy officer at supranational, national, regional or local governments;
- Policy officer at political or public think tanks and social scientific advisory councils;
- Policy officer at NGOs addressing social problems;
- Researcher at governmental institutions, consultancy firms, research centers, and (applied/ research) universities;
- Consultant for (semi-)governmental institutions;
- Journalist, media advisor, or editor at media outlets focusing on politics and society.
Social Science Research in Practice
The Social Bases of Politics
Political Attitudes and Behaviour in Context
Parties and Governments in Global Times
Infrastructures of Power
Families and Inequalities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesInternational Relations Sociology Political Science View 72 other Masters in International Relations in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Depending on the specialisation you wish to apply for, you are eligible for admission to the master’s programme Sociology if you have obtained a relevant Bachelor’s or undergraduate degree* from a research university that includes at least 7.5 EC in social science research methods and techniques, in the following fields of study:
- Social Sciences;
- Political Science;
- Media- & Culture Science;
- Public Administration;
- Communication Science;
- Science & Technology Studies;
- Pedagogical Sciences;
- Health Sciences, Policy & Management;
International15700 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15700 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
- €2209 (Statutory fee: Dutch / EEA students)
- €12400 (Institutional fee: Dutch / EEA students)
- €15700 (Institutional fee: non-EEA students)
Living costs for Rotterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
For the applicants of the various degree programmes of Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences at Erasmus University Rotterdam the following funding possibilities are available:
- Holland Scholarship for excellent non-EEA applicants
- L-EARN for impact Scholarship
- Erasmus Trustfonds Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.