Despite the demand for European or transnational coordination in spatial planning, national planning cultures and concepts within Europe continue to be markedly heterogeneous. You will be prepared for understanding a wide range of European and transnational planning philosophies and processes, as well as transcending current limits.
The Geography and Spatial Planning from University of Luxembourg addresses key social, economic and environmental challenges with a geographical and multi-scalar perspective. Sustainable planning strategies require a holistic approach and push researchers and experts to enlarge the scope of their competences and move beyond singular disciplinary culture.
You will gain an understanding of integrative approaches and be trained in a wide range of approaches in geographical analysis and spatial planning. You will be prepared to meet the demands for sustainable spatial planning strategies and improved urban and territorial governance processes.
On completion of the Master programme in Geography and Spatial Planning our graduates work within a range of sectors such as:
- Transport and logistics
- Policy and government
- Academia and research
- Construction, built environment and property
- Charities, NGOs and international development
- Teaching and education
- Retail and wholesale activities
Within these sectors our Alumni have taken up a wide variety of roles: Spatial or policy analysts, urban planners, environment specialists, GIS specialist and spatial analysis in the private or public sector, from local to international organisations, geography teachers, mobility and transport consultants, planning consultants, spatial and regional development agencies, European and cross-border institutions, universities and research centres.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Urban and Spatial Planning Theory and Concepts
- Integrative Spatial Planning and Case Studies
- Global Environmental Change in the Anthropocene
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Statistics and Econometrics for Geographical Data
- Geographical Information Systems: Analysis and Mapping
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Potential applicants are expected to have an excellent Bachelor’s degree or qualification of equivalence in a relevant discipline (primarily (human) geography, spatial planning, architecture, urban studies, regional economics urban sociology or engineering). However, candidates with degrees covering other areas are also welcome to apply and maybe accepted if there is a demonstration of sufficient knowledge in the relevant fields. All candidates are expected to demonstrate how they fit our selection criteria by writing a motivation letter (see Main criteria for selection).
- This is a competitive application process and candidates are evaluated by our admissions jury according to selection criteria listed below. Places are limited and potential candidates might be invited for an interview.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 200 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 200 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- Registration fees: 200 € / semester
Living costs for Luxembourg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.