The Biomedical Engineering course from Keele University will cover the fundamentals of engineering in medicine, introduce you to the latest developments in medical technology and expose you to the challenges of working with patients through clinical visits. Learning and teaching methods include lectures and demonstrations from medical and engineering specialists, practical classes using state-of-the-art facilities and seminars with leading national and international researchers.
Graduate destinations for our students could include: delivering non-clinical services and technology management in a hospital; designing, developing and manufacturing medical devices in the private sector; working for a governmental regulatory agency for healthcare services and products; undertaking further postgraduate study and research (PhD); pursuing a university-based, academic research career; or providing technical consultancy for marketing departments.
The aim of the course is to provide multidisciplinary Masters level postgraduate training in Biomedical Engineering to prepare students for future employment in healthcare, industrial and academic environments. This involves building on existing undergraduate knowledge in basic science or engineering and applying it to core principles and current issues in medicine and healthcare.
Specifically, the objectives of the course are to:
- Provide postgraduate-level education leading to professional careers in biomedical engineering in industry, academia and a wide range of healthcare establishments such as medical organisations, medical research institutions and hospitals
- Provide an opportunity for in-depth research into specialist and novel areas of biomedical and clinical engineering;
- Expose students to practical work in a hospital environment with hands-on knowledge of patient care involving technological developments at the forefront of the field
- Introduce students to exciting new fields such as regenerative medicine and novel technologies for physiological monitoring and diagnostics.
The course is accredited by the Institute for Physics and Engineering in Medicine, whose aims are to ensure that graduates of accredited programmes are equipped with the knowledge and skills for the biomedical engineering workplace, be that in industry, healthcare or academic environments.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Engineering for Medical Applications
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Physiological Measurement
- Medical Equipment and Technology Services Management
- Medical Device Design Principles
- Biomedical Signal Processing
- Experimental Research Methodology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There are no fixed closing dates for the majority of our courses, however some courses may become full and close early.
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biomedicine General Engineering & Technology View 113 other Masters in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 2:2 degree, we welcome applications from people with a first or second-class degree (or equivalent) in engineering, physical or life sciences, medicine, or professions allied to medicine.
- We also welcome enquiries from people with other professional qualifications acceptable to the University.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 12 months.
UK - PT £4,950
Living costs for Keele
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.