Interiors, fashion, artefacts, graphics and digital design define affect nearly every area of our lives. Design Cultures takes a Humanities perspective and explores the history and theory of design in connection with contemporary issues such as identity, ecology and inclusion. Other programmes train students on how to design objects.
This Arts and Culture - Design Cultures MA programme offered at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam raises the following questions: What makes a design iconic? How is design used to construct national identity? How can we approach design from a post-colonial, ecological and feminist perspective? How do designers think? Why does the very same object mean different things to different users?
Entering the job market
After finishing your Master's programme, you can work in various job fields. Our graduates have careers as:
- project managers (Modemuze, Dutch Design Foundation)
- editors at design and fashion magazines (Vogue NL)
- book authors (nai 010 Publishers)
- lecturers in design history and theory (Hogeschool Willem de Kooning, Rotterdam; Hogeschool van Amsterdam; University of Technology, Sidney; The Royal Academy of Art, The Hague)
- museum curators (Vitra Design Museum, Art and Design Atomium Museum in Brussels (ADAM), Museum für Gestaltung in Zurich)
- PhD candidates
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Design, History and Culture
- Methods of Design Analysis: The Meanings of Design
- Trending Topics Arts and Culture
- Design in Words: Criticism, Writing and Theory
- The Arts and Crafts of Dutch Design
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
The next VU Online Master's Event will take place on Saturday 5 March.
DisciplinesDesign Area & Cultural Studies Visual Arts View 113 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission is based on a strict selection procedure. The Faculty’s Admissions Board will decide on your admission after evaluating your complete online application. In order to gain admission to any specialisation of the Arts and Culture Master’s programme, you will need to have at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited research university. Your degree should include at least three full years of academic study amounting to a minimum of 180 ECTS or the equivalent.
International16830 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16830 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.