- to improve skills needed for a soloist career
- to develop and widen solo repertoire (especially concertos)
- to have an insight of the highly difficult piano chamber music works
- to improve self-management skills
The Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music in Budapest is the only music academy in the world that was founded by Franz Liszt. The piano virtuoso, composer, conductor, teacher, author and philanthropist established the institution in 1875.
The Academy has always taken pride in meeting the standards set by its founders and revered professors. This means students encounter a special and demanding Hungarian style of teaching. Education here focuses on understanding the meaning of music and the art of ensemble playing.
Those who enter the Liszt Academy know that attendance involves a serious commitment to a perfectionist approach to music. Studying here means hard and disciplined work under the guidance of professors who are renowned artists, visiting professors at other illustrious universities, jury members of international competitions, for whom teaching is a passion. The Liszt Academy is proud to have outstanding, highly experienced, and even young professors.The Solo Piano Performance programme is offered by the Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Piano (2 lessons/week):
In-depth analysis of the major works of piano solo and concerto repertoire in terms of meeting the challenges of interpretation, technical skills, concentration. The pieces belong to the most required piano works of concert halls, art management agencies.
- 2 Beethoven piano concertos
- 3 (min. 20-minute) romantic piano concertos
- 2 piano concertos by a 20th century composer, one must be a Bartók piano concerto
- 4 piano sonatas of Beethoven
- 4 cyclic piano works of the romantic era (one must be a Liszt piece)
- 3 major cyclic piano works of the 20th century (one must be a Bartók piece)
Chamber music (1 lesson/week):
The chamber music repertoire consists of pieces where the piano part could be considered as part of a solo repertoire as it plays an equal role with other parts of the ensemble. Chamber music helps to improve self-control, adaptation skills, and to develop conducting dialogues.
- 1 Haydn trio
- 1 Beethoven sonata (with violin or cello)
- Lied accompaniment (pieces of min. 30-minute, especially those of Schubert, Schumann, Brahms)
- A piano quintet of the 19th century romantic era, or of the 20th century
Orchestra observation (altogether 15 hours/semester):
Students visit rehearsals of piano concertos, with the aim of observing the rehearsal of piano concertos. The subject helps to understand and to have a deep insight into rehearsals, conductors' needs, orchestras' special needs.
Self-management skills (altogether 15 hours/semester):
This chapter covers seminars with a media and art management expert with the aim of meeting the challenges of a successful career in terms of creating a good profile, communication, media, recording, etc.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 21 other Masters in Music in Hungary
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
To be submitted are:
- Application form
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Motivational letter
- Recommendation letter from one professor
- Portfolio (recommended)
- Copy of highest school certificate in English or Hungarian
- Copy of the bank transfer form of the non-refundable application fee of 60 EUR
International5800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5800 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA5800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5800 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.