The English-taught MA in Global Security and Strategy (90 or 120 ECTS) provides students and professionals with comprehensive knowledge and policy-oriented skills at the intersection of peace, security and strategic studies.
The programme enables students interested in an international career in government, international organisations, think tanks or NGOs to gain unique theoretical foundations, practical skill-sets and high-level contacts.
Leading scholars, think tanks, founders of the discipline of peace studies and senior strategists in security studies (from organisations including NATO, the United Nations, and the Royal Military Academy of Belgium) are brought together in the partnership circle, advisory board and faculty of this programme to allow for a critical and balanced exchange between the perspectives. Graduates of this programme will be equipped to extract the insights, advantages and limitations of these perspectives and approaches to global security and strategy.
- Organised in cooperation with the Royal Military Academy
- Strong link between theory and actual practice
- Limited class size ensures high interaction and close contacts among students and with the professors
- Internship placement in international organisations, think tanks and NGOs
- Intensive skills training and policy workshops, e.g. during a Capstone course that exposes students to real-life issues and challenges of policymakers and practitioners; during several simulations students participate in (SUNY model EU, Model NATO, Model UN MEDMUN)
- Strong link to policy-maker scene in Brussels
- Accredited by the Flemish educational authorities (NVAO)
- Supported by the extensive expertise of our Office for Teaching, Learning and Innovation to accommodate sophisticated blended teaching methods
Vesalius College is registered with the Flemish government of Belgium as an institution of higher education, and its bachelor’s and master’s degrees have been granted accredited status by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO, Nederlands-Vlaamse Accreditatie Organisatie).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The 90 ECTS MA in Global Peace, Security and Strategic Studies runs across one intensive academic year and is divided into three trimesters. Hence, it will take a full-time student a total study time of 12 months. Students taking the 120 ECTS option will have to complete a fourth semester and will therefore have a total study time of 16 months.
- Trimester 1: Core Foundations (Compulsory Courses): students take five compulsory courses
- Trimester 2: Specialisation Tracks (Elective Courses): students take four compulsory courses and one elective
- Trimester 3: MA Thesis, Capstone Case Study and one elective
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Fully structured
- Regular mandatory meetings
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Online group works/assignments
DisciplinesInternational Relations Political Science Terrorism & Security View 3 other Masters in Terrorism & Security in Belgium
Students must have obtained a degree in Social, Economic or Political Sciences, Business or Law qualifying for graduate studies in the country of origin. If your degree is not within these disciplines, relevant work experience in these or related fields may qualify.
International13000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA13000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 EUR per year during 12 months.
Fee for extended option including GRACM (120 ECTS):
- All students: €17.000
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Vesalius College will award Academic Excellence Scholarships to students who have outstanding academic records in their undergraduate degree and whose extra-curricular achievements show evidence of leadership in today’s global society. Other factors include one letter of recommendation from and, in certain cases, standardised test scores.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.