Clinical neuropsychiatry involves an exciting mix of scientific and clinical work. Because of the varied nature of the subject, it’s suitable for people from a range of backgrounds, whether you’ve just graduated from biomedical sciences or psychology, or you’re already working as a psychologist, psychiatrist, neurologist or other health professional.
As part of the Clinical Neuropsychiatry course at King's College London, you’ll also have the chance to gain hands-on clinical experience. Because of our extensive links, we’re able to offer placements working in memory clinics, brain injury rehab, outpatient services and more.
- SLaM offers the widest range of mental health services in the UK and provides one of only two NHS inpatient neuropsychiatry units.
- Unrivalled access to international experts across clinical and basic sciences relevant to neuropsychiatry.
- State-of-the-art equipment: Centre for Neuroimaging Sciences, MRC Social Genetic & Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Maurice Wohl Neuroscience Centre, NIHR Biomedical Research Centre (the only Mental Health specific centre of its kind). Access to EEG/ ERPs and TMS equipment at King’s College Hospital.
- Clinical observership (subject to availability) - including practical experience of clinical assessment and management. This scheme will give the student exposure to the work of the wide variety of neuropsychiatry services in the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM) and related disciplines such as neurology and neuropsychology within the wider King’s Health Partners (KHP) – particularly those at King’s College Hospital (KCH). These modules will include clinical supervision and mentorship in presenting case discussions.
Upon completion, you will have a solid understanding of the concepts, theories and practicalities that are relevant to clinical neuropsychiatry. The course will prepare you for a career in neuropsychiatry (note that you will also require a medical degree and postgraduate psychiatry training for this) or will serve as professional development to enhance your current career as a clinician or policy maker.
Other course graduates may go on to conduct further full-time study in an academic research environment (e.g. PhD) or in a taught clinical course (e.g. Doctorate in Clinical Psychology) or gain employment in an academic, clinical or pharmaceutical organisation.
- Scientific Foundations of Neuropsychiatry
- Neuropsychiatric disorders
- Management of Neuropsychiatric disorders
- Research Methods and Statistics
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPsychology Neuroscience Clinical Psychology View 337 other Masters in Clinical Psychology in United Kingdom
- Essential - A degree in a relevant scientific or clinical subject, e.g. medicine, psychology, nursing or neuroscience (2:2 or above for non-medical degrees).
- Desirable - A professional qualification in mental health related field would be desirable. We will take into account mature students seeking to expand or change their area of clinical focus.
- A personal statement of up to 4,000 characters (maximum 2 pages) is required.
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing the subjects studied and marks obtained.
- One academic reference is required. A professional reference will be accepted if you have completed your qualifications over five years ago..
- Please provide a full CV as part of your application.
International34920 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34920 GBP per year during 12 months.
National14940 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14940 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home/EU fees: £7,458 per year
- Overseas fees: 17,460 per year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.