Your project will take one year full-time or two years part-time. It is suitable if you want to undertake a first research degree as an isolated culmination of taught studies, or if you are considering further research in form of a PhD.
You will undertake original research, supervised by our expert, culminating in a thesis that makes an original contribution to our knowledge and understanding of modern languages.
Modern Languages at Swansea encompasses Arabic, French, German and Hispanic Studies with research strengths in written culture from the medieval period to the present day, including contemporary European cinema.
We have language expertise in Italian and Mandarin Chinese but advanced knowledge of a language is not an entry requirement, depending on your choice of topic. Some comparative projects in both literature and film can be researched in English translation.
- The opportunity to conduct high quality postgraduate research in a world leading research environment.
- Key skills needed to undertake advanced academic and non-academic research including qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Advanced critical thinking, intellectual curiosity and independent judgement.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- This MA by Research in Modern Languages at Swansea will enable you to undertake a research project led by your own interests.
- It is a highly respected qualification which can enable a future career in academia or a wider scope for employment in fields such as education, government or the private sector.
- A thesis of 40,000 words will be submitted for assessment demonstrating original research with a substantive contribution to the subject area.
- The Masters is examined following an oral examination of the thesis (a viva voce examination or viva).
- You will acquire research skills for high-level work and skills and training programmes are available on campus for further support.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 559 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
MA by Research - You should hold or expect to achieve a minimum of an upper second class honours degree (2:1), or equivalent, in a related subject (e.g. Modern Languages, Media Studies, or English Literature) or hold relevant work experience. If you hold a qualification from a non-UK institution please see our academic entry requirements
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK students: £ 2,250
- International students: £ 8,250
Living costs for Swansea
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.