Understanding demographic change helps strategic decision-making across a range of sectors. From health and social care to local and national government and international organisations. It’s also an important way to inform market research.
At this Demography MSc course offered by the University of Southampton, you’ll look at issues such as population and reproductive health. You’ll cover demographic methods and approaches, and both qualitative and quantitative social science research methods.
- demography theory and methodologies
- the skills to plan, carry out and share demography research, especially where statistical analysis methods are important
- research methodologies, focusing on demographic methods, survey design and analysis
- critical thinking in the context of population sciences.
- how to prepare to become a demographer in areas like government, local authorities, and international health and policy
- Graduates from this programme will be equipped to undertake quantitative analysis to support social policymaking locally, nationally and internationally in the health and social care professions, market research, local and national government departments, international organisations and the many other agencies that require a sound demographic analysis for decision-making.
- It benefits from our strong quantitative tradition in Social Sciences, which provides training in rigorous statistical methods. There are also a number of option modules in methodological and demographic topics.
- Demographic Methods
- Understanding Population Change
- Applied Statistical Modelling
- Research Communication Skills
- Demographic Methods
- Population, Poverty & Policy
- Survey Design
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesSociology Public Health Statistics View 216 other Masters in Statistics in United Kingdom
- You'll need a 2:1 degree in geography, social science, maths or statistics.
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.