The Master’s Programme in Architecture and Urban Design at the Umea University is characterized by a consistent focus on sustainability and has an exploratory and experimental profile with teachers from all over the world.
The School of Architecture is situated on the Arts Campus – a creative environment with workshops and infrastructure for production and making, together with the Art- and Design School, the incubator Sliperiet and Bildmuseet. The Master's Programme in Architecture and Urban Design is built up by studios with different thematic orientations. You will work with the exploration of new fields of knowledge related to architecture and urban planning in a learning environment like a laboratory.
- Focus on sustainability
- All instruction in English
- Experimental methods
The programme leads to a Master of Fine Arts, which means you can work with architecture and urban planning in both the private and public sectors. The international character provides good preparation for work in Sweden as well as in the rest of the world. Good conditions for those who want to do research on the subject are also to be found here.
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Architecture and Urban Design Project, Positioning
- Architectural Technology, Sustainability and Environmental Impact
- Theory and History of Architecture and Urban
- Preparatory Architecture and Urban Design Project for Master's Thesis
- Preparatory Research in Architectural Technology for Master's Thesis
- Preparatory Research in Theory and History of Architecture and Urban Design for Master's Thesis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesArchitecture Design Urban Planning View 17 other Masters in Urban Planning in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Umea University and/or in Sweden, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A Bachelor´s degree of at least 180 ECTS with a main field of study in Architecture and submitted work samples/portfolio.
- English language proficiency equivalent to (the Swedish upper secondary school) English course B/6.
International8574 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8574 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
- Tuition fee, first instalment: SEK 93,600
Living costs for Umeå
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.