The orientation is towards the use of English as a world language of business and study in the multimodal environment of the present century.
- The Language Science with a Specialisation in Applied English Linguistics programme at Stockholm University aims to extend and develop students’ knowledge in their chosen field of study, as well as to strengthen their inter-disciplinary knowledge of scientific theory, ethics and research methodology.
- Teaching consists of required courses that are common to the whole programme, required courses in the applied English linguistics, and optional courses within English and from a pool of courses offered by departments from the Faculty of Humanities.
- The programme-wide required courses provide an introduction to scientific method and to languages in use in general, and also training in writing academic texts in English.
- The specialised Applied English Linguistics courses form a broad survey of key areas of English in use: second language acquisition (how languages are learnt), discourse analysis (how texts are structured and used), language for specific purposes (how language and discourse varies according to functional domain, and how we can provide training in these variants) and research methods (how we can investigate the uses of language).
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 33 other Masters in Languages in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Degree of Bachelor of Arts, including 90 ECTS credits (major) in a discipline related to the course (English Linguistics).
- Applicants’ knowledge of English must be documented by an international proficiency test: TOEFL test including TWE with a minimum of 630 (paper) 267 (computer) or 109 (Internet), or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency with an A or B grade, or IELTS test with a minimum of 7.5 (and no module under 7), or the equivalent.
Living costs for Stockholm
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.