One of the very few programmes on this subject worldwide, Transitional Justice, Human Rights and the Rule of Law at the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights combines theoretical and practice-oriented perspectives and equips students with the knowledge, tools and critical mindset to assist countries, societies and victims emerging from periods of conflict and repression and address complex transitional justice issues.
Besides core courses that provide a firm grounding in the central theoretical and practical transitional justice issues, the programme allows students to tailor their studies to their particular interests via optional courses, internships, participation in a moot court and a series of extracurricular activities.
Throughout the year, students have access to a prestigious faculty composed of leading academics and renowned experts and practitioners working for international organizations and NGOs who are in touch with the latest developments and debates.
- Transitional Justice
- Victims and Human Rights Law
- Criminal Justice
- Displacement and International Law
- Truth Commissions
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Law Legal Studies View 16 other Masters in International Law in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A degree in law or an equivalent degree in a field relevant to transitional justice (such as international relations, political science, philosophy, sociology, anthropology or history) if the applicant has a significant amount of training in public international law and courses related to our programme (e.g. international human rights law, international criminal law)
- A solid academic record
- A demonstrable interest in transitional justice, human rights and the rule of law (professional experience, internships, summer schools, conferences attended, publications, etc.)
- A sound command of English. You must be able to show, via a recognized test, that your English is of a high enough standard to successfully engage with and complete your course at the Geneva Academy.
International18399 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18399 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
National18399 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18399 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
- Full programme: 18,000 Swiss Francs
Living costs for Genève
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.