Course suspended for 2021 entry
Unfortunately, in response to covid-19, this course will be suspended for the academic year 2021/22. You might want to consider studying our Environment and Development MSc or you can search for alternative courses starting in the academic year 2021/22.
This Masters is led by the Sustainability Research Institute and brings together a wide range of academic expertise from the School of Earth and Environment, the School of Politics and International Studies, and from the practitioner community.
A key part of your learning will be based around an international field course to Tanzania, where you will gain first-hand practical experience and apply classroom-based learning in a developing country context.
You will investigate the debates and challenges associated with international development that is environmentally, socially and economically sustainable and contribute towards achieving solutions that support this topical, fast-growing field.
You will gain the knowledge, skills and practical experience, that national and international employers require to reconcile distinct objectives, such as the need for sustainable economic development and environmental conservation.
The Environment and Development with Integrated International Fieldwork degree from University of Leeds is ideal if you would like to develop or continue a career in environment and/or development practice, policy, training or research, and/or if you are thinking of working in an international capacity. The Masters will prepare you for work in both the public and private sectors, and within local, national and international institutions. Alternatively, you could pursue a research career or go on to a PhD.
We have a strong commitment to enhancing student employability and have own dedicated school Employability Officer. We offer extra support and activities to help you stand out in your chosen field and achieve your career goals.
This course is ideal if you want to continue your undergraduate studies, you are looking for a career change, or if you are looking to increase your skill set to progress in your career in industry or academia.
We typically find that graduates assume, or continue careers, in sustainability, environmental management or development practice. Our alumni work in the research, public and private sectors and within local, national and international institutions.
Our graduates have secured positions including:
- Global Ambassador, Raleigh International
- Environmental Advisor, London Mining PLC , Sierra Leone
- Consultant, Sustainability Consultancy - Canada
- Advisor on Agricultural Pollution, Natural England
- Global Programme Manager, Renewable World
- Sustainability Consultant - BREEAM, EDCM Consulting
- Senior Research Officer, Climate Change Third World Network
- Field Environment Advisor, Tullow Oil Kenya
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods
- Research Project
- Environmental Policy and Governance
- Critical Perspectives in Environment and Development
- Environment & Development International Field Course
- GIS and Environment
- Global Inequalities and Development
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesInternational Development Sustainable Development Environmental Sciences View 314 other Masters in International Development in United Kingdom
- A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in social sciences such as (but not limited to) international development, geography, politics, sociology, environmental management, sustainability, in environmental science or in a related subject.
- Applicants with a 2.2 will be considered on a case by case basis where applicants can demonstrate relevant work experience or aptitude in a relevant specialist field. Graduates from other disciplines and those with professional experience in the sector will also be considered.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.