By following the Soil Mechanics and Engineering Seismology MSc programme offered at Imperial College London you will attend two terms of lectures, tutorials, laboratory classes and fieldwork and you will undertake your research dissertation in the third term, all based at the South Kensington Campus (apart from fieldwork).
The laboratory classes will offer you a first-hand experience of experimental soil mechanics in our modern, purpose-built teaching laboratories. You will participate in three field trips; one weekend in each of the Autumn and Spring terms to investigate the engineering geology and geotechnical issues in two distinct areas of the UK, followed by a one-week study tour at the beginning of the Summer term visiting several geotechnical and geological projects in Southern Europe.
Graduates from the Soil Mechanics and Engineering Seismology MSc programme gain employment in a wide range of organisations, including international consultancies, contractors, governmental bodies and academia. Our MSc graduates have an excellent record due to our strong engagement with industry. We operate an Industrial Bursary scheme, currently supported by 13 international companies, which provides scholarship awards to the best applicants for our MSc programme every year. The participating companies hold recruiting events, deliver lectures in the spring term and recruit a number of our MSc graduates every year.
- Institution of Civil Engineers
- Institution of Structural Engineers
- Institute of Highway Engineers
- The Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation
- Advanced Soil Mechanics
- Applied Numerical Analysis
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
- Seepage and Consolidation
- Strength and Deformation
- Analysis and Constitutive Modelling
- Site Investigation and Engineering Geomorphology
- Geotechnics Fieldwork
- Laboratory Testing and Data Interpretation
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
Most postgraduate courses remain open until they are full, so make sure you apply in good time. UK and non-visa nationals have the same deadline.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Soil Science Geology View 17 other Masters in Soil Science in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Imperial College London and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- The minimum requirement is a 2.1 degree in civil engineering, natural sciences, earth sciences or a numerate discipline.
- A suitable grounding in mathematics is required, for example: A-level Mathematics grade A or B.
- Applicants who do not meet the academic requirements listed but who have substantial relevant industry experience may exceptionally be admitted following completion of a ‘Special Qualifying Exam’ (SQE).
- A wide variety of international qualifications are accepted.
- All candidates must demonstrate a minimum level of English language proficiency for admission to the College.
- Online application.
- Application fee.
International35700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National15400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.