As a student in the Contemporary Circus Practices programme of the Stockholm University of Arts you are encouraged to develop practical tools so that you can extend and challenge circus as an art form and the arenas/platforms where it is presented. The programme also gives you the possibility of applying for PhD (third-cycle) studies in artistic research.
Contemporaneity in Circus requires analysis, critique, openness to other fields and an understanding of the contemporary conditions that shape human experience. The programme challenges you as a student to develop advanced artistic and conceptual skills of relevance to the existing field of circus. Your projects should help you to expand as an artist and contribute to circus discourse and practice. You will have courses within which you can develop and study your circus discipline and movement practices in depth, explore the relationship between theory and practice, and work with rigging and the development of material and design. You will meet international artists whose processes challenge the world around us, and you will have the opportunity to present your projects throughout the programme.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Year 1
During the first year, you will have courses with teaching mainly held at Uniarts. You will study your specific circus discipline and work individually with teachers and supervisors. You will also have courses within which you can develop new approaches to an audience, create new meeting places for circus and take part in a dialogue with other art forms. You will study theory in a dynamic relationship with practical circus as a craft in order to develop an understanding of its place in contemporary culture.
- Year 2
During the second year you will have two supervised projects/residencies, mainly outside Uniarts, and during the last term you will work on your independent project.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 5 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree of fine arts
- English 6 or the equivalent
- A grade of Pass in the qualification test showing artistic ability in circus
- A copy of your valid passport or valid national identity card (if applicable for you)
- Upload your degree certificate for a degree of bachelor or the equivalent degree including a transcript of records to show that you meet the formal entry requirements for studies at second cycle level
- Degree Certificate and Grades Bachelor’s Degree of Fine Arts
- Documentation that shows that you meet the English language requirement (English 6, or the equivalent)
- Letter of Motivation
- Your Project Description
- A written reflection to a given text
- A film of Previous Work (maximum length 5 min)
- Upload your CV
International46234 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23117 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- If you are a Swedish citizen or a citizen of another EU or EEA country you are not required to pay tuition fees.
- Non-EU / EEA: 241,400 SEK per semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.