You'll learn about medical management, fitness assessment, exercise prescription and behaviour change, and develop your professional skills in exercise and physical activity. You'll learn how to support people with long-term conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, stroke chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, renal disease, arthritis and cancer.
When you complete the course, you'll be set for a career providing clinical exercise physiology services and have the option to work towards becoming a clinical exercise physiologist.
What you’ll experience
- Be taught by clinicians to develop an understanding of the medical management of long term conditions
- Develop practical skills in physiological assessment
- Apply theory-based interventions to change physical activity behaviours in people with long term conditions
- Develop confidence and competence in communicating with clients in a professional and approachable way
- Access career development opportunities
- Have the opportunity to work towards American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Clinical Exercise Physiologist certification
Work experience and career planning
The demand for qualified clinical exercise specialists is high, and the knowledge and skills you'll gain on this course will place you in a strong position to pursue a career in a variety of clinical settings, in both the public and private sector.
Career opportunities include:
- Health and wellbeing physiologist
- Clinical exercise physiologist
- Exercise referral coordinator
- GP exercise referral coordinator
- NHS trainee clinical scientist
- Health advisor
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing research technician
- Mental health exercise instructor
- NHS physical activities adviser
- Private exercise physiologist
You could also do postgraduate research, including a PhD.
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the clinical exercise industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Teaching and programme assessment
Teaching methods on this course include:
- workshop and practical sessions
You'll be assessed through:
- practical assessment
- research reports
- applied essays
- case studies
- project report
- poster presentation
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Clinical Exercise Physiology
- MSc Professional Development
- MSc Research Development and Practice
- Pathophysiology and Medical Management
- Psychology of Exercise and Physical Activity
Please see our website for our latest module information
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Sepember 2022
- January 2023
DisciplinesSports Management Sports Sciences View 199 other Masters in Sports Management in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A minimum of an upper second class honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. Professional experience and other qualifications may be taken into consideration for applicants not meeting this requirement.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 7.0 with no component score below 6.5.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.