Studying this Wildlife Conservation MRes course offered by the University of Southampton gives you the opportunity to complete a research project in a real and very critical cause; conserving wildlife and their supporting ecosystems. Our wildlife degree in research is designed to give you the professional and research skills to either study a PhD or become a conservation biologist.
During your studies, you’ll be based at the Science and Learning Centre at Marwell Wildlife where you’ll be considered part of the team. You’ll learn the foundations in advanced field research with access to their top of the range research equipment.
You’ll be able to apply your research skills to immediate use during a 10-day trip to Kenya, which is covered as part of the course fees. You’ll collect data and report your findings to stakeholders giving you real-life work experience of a conservation biologist working in Africa.
As part of this course you'll be given a choice of independent research projects to complete. This could take you from the local eco-systems in the UK, to the ranches of Kenya, or the mountains of Tunisia.The selection changes every year.
Students previous projects have looked at the following subjects:
- conservation grazing and its effect on local biodiversity
- re-introducing species, considering the effect of climate change
- evolution of species behaviour whilst in captivity
- management of large herbivores, considering socio-economic constraints
Our teaching staff are experts and the learning environment is open and inclusive, with a focus on self-reflection. This enables you to measure your own personal growth as a researcher during this transformational point in your wildlife conservation career.
- Graduates from this course go on to become conservation biologists or PhD students. The emphasis on professional skills and exposure to real-life research projects in the UK and Africa will increase your chances of employment after the course.
- A number of students go on to complete a PhD. You'll experience what it's like to work within a team of conservation biologists and you'll develop a clear understanding of what's required to complete an intensive and focused research project.
- Wildlife Conservation: Disciplines and Principles
- Fieldwork- Before, During and After
- Techniques in monitoring and surveying
- Advanced Quantitative methods
- Wildlife Conservation research project
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Biodiversity & Conservation View 476 other Masters in Biology in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Southampton and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You’ll need a 2:1 degree In a relevant subject, such as Biology, Ecology, Environmental Sciences, Geography or Zoology.
International24690 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24690 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National13000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £24,690.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.