At the Chemistry by Research MSc course at the University of Southampton, you’ll specialise in a research area of your choice, and work within one of our 7 chemistry research groups:
- Computational Systems
- Chemical Biology, Diagnostics and Therapeutics
- Magnetic Resonance
- Organic Chemistry: Synthesis, Catalysis and Flow
- Characterisation and Analytics
- Functional Inorganic, Materials and Supramolecular Chemistry
Alongside the research project, which you’ll work on throughout the year, you’ll study a range of topics relating to your chosen specialism.
These could include:
- advanced structural, analytical and spectroscopic techniques
- materials chemistry
- biological and medicinal chemistry
Alongside the main course content, we’ll also offer you training in areas such as laboratory safety and professional skills, such as data analysis and presenting, which will be useful in your future career.
After graduating, you’ll be in the perfect position to continue your studies in a PhD in chemistry or start a career in industry.
The Graduate School is staffed by internationally recognised scientists whose expertise covers a broad range of the fields of modern chemistry.
Most MSc entrants have a background in chemistry but we welcome students with training in biochemistry, physics, polymer science, environmental sciences, engineering and all related subjects.
- Scientific writing and presentation skills for Chemistry MSc
- Advanced Organic Reactions
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Advanced Physical Chemistry
- Sustainable Chemistry
- Modelling in Electrochemistry
- Atoms, Molecules and Spins: Quantum Mechanics in Chemistry and Spectroscopy
- Advanced Topics in Inorganic Chemistry
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 216 other Masters in Chemistry in United Kingdom
You’ll need a 2:1 degree in:
- polymer science
- environmental sciences
- material science
Your degree must have at least 50% chemistry content.
International26000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £26,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.