It investigates the relationships between generations and the interconnections between our older and younger selves. Insights are taken from social policy, demography, sociology, biology, healthcare sciences, psychology and economics. Gerontology is thus a fundamentally interdisciplinary subject which leads to a fascinating variety of careers.
In addition to the standard PG Cert/PG Dip/MSc Gerontology, a specialised research pathway is offered, leading to the award MSc Gerontology (Research). This incorporates a more substantial compulsory research methods training element (amounting to 60 CATS or 30 ECTS). The MSc Gerontology (Research) specialist research pathway has received research training (RT) recognition by the ESRC, which fits well for students wishing to progress to MPhil/PhD postgraduate training.Gerontology (Research) is offered by University of Southampton.
- critical appreciation of key theoretical perspectives in gerontology and their application to the analysis of issues concerning ageing and the life course
- understanding of contemporary debates in gerontology surrounding the lives of older people, their families and societies in developed and developing countries
- the ability to evaluate policies and initiatives concerning population ageing, welfare provision and quality of life of older people, their families and carers
- competence in qualitative and quantitative research methods and their application to key research questions
- the ability to design and conduct independent research in gerontology using appropriate research methods
- preparation for a career in the field of gerontology and applied health and social sciences
More informationVisit official programme website
- Perspectives in Gerontology
- Philosophy of Social Science Research
- Research Design and Practice
- Quantitative Methods
- Gerontology Dissertation
- Demographic Change, Ageing & Globalisation
- Ageing, Health and Well-being
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesSociology Health Sciences View 392 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
- We welcome applications from students holding, or expecting to hold, an upper second-class honours degree or higher, or equivalent.
- Students without the usual entry qualifications may be admitted, with the requisite approval, on the basis of relevant work experience or professional qualifications. Mature applicants without formal qualifications but with relevant experience are also welcomed and will be considered.
- For all applications, two academic references are required. Unfortunately, we cannot consider applications until we have received both references.
International18812 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18812 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU: £4,625
- International: £9,406
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.