The Early Childhood Studies programme at London Metropolitan University is delivered by distance learning using an interactive online platform and individual academic support from tutors. As well as academic content, the interactive online platform includes podcasts, video, online discussions and links to identified reading – either as scanned chapters or through access to our wide range of online books and academic journals.
The early childhood studies team has a long history of developing an accessible study for the early childhood workforce. London Met was one of the first universities to offer an undergraduate programme designed for those working within the early childhood workforce both as a face-to-face and distance learning programme.The course is underpinned by the following aims to:
- develop a detailed understanding of current research and thinking in the field of early childhood
- appraise research and theory continuously and reflect on its impact on early childhood provision and practice with an emphasis on students’ own professional practice
- develop a sophisticated understanding of the historical, economic, social, cultural and political contexts which impact the lives of young children and their families
- develop a comprehensive understanding of, and commitment to, issues of equality and diversity, social justice and advocacy in relation to the field of early childhood
After the courseCareer opportunities and potential continuing professional development include advisers to local and national government, further and higher education tutors, leadership roles within early childhood and doctoral research. Graduates have gone on to roles as early years educators at nurseries and play therapists at children's hospitals.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood
- Distinctive Approaches in Early Childhood Education and Care
- Research Methods and the Dissertation
- Equality and Inclusion in Early Childhood
- Foundations of Being
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation View 151 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
You will be required to have:
- a relevant honours degree (at least 2:2) and work within the early childhood workforce
Some of the modules require an observational visit to a setting offering care and education for children from birth to six-years-old. Where you're not working directly with children you will need to be able to commit to this component of the programme.All students are interviewed, but importance is also placed on the statement of application.
International5950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5950 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA5950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5950 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Part Time (per 30 credit module)
- UK / EU: £990
- International: £990
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.