The Early Childhood Studies programme at London Metropolitan University is delivered by distance learning using an interactive online platform and individual academic support from tutors. As well as academic content, the interactive online platform includes podcasts, video, online discussions and links to identified reading – either as scanned chapters or through access to our wide range of online books and academic journals.
The early childhood studies team has a long history of developing an accessible study for the early childhood workforce. London Met was one of the first universities to offer an undergraduate programme designed for those working within the early childhood workforce both as a face-to-face and distance learning programme.
The course is underpinned by the following aims to:
- develop a detailed understanding of current research and thinking in the field of early childhood
- appraise research and theory continuously and reflect on its impact on early childhood provision and practice with an emphasis on students’ own professional practice
- develop a sophisticated understanding of the historical, economic, social, cultural and political contexts which impact the lives of young children and their families
- develop a comprehensive understanding of, and commitment to, issues of equality and diversity, social justice and advocacy in relation to the field of early childhood
After the course
Career opportunities and potential continuing professional development include advisers to local and national government, further and higher education tutors, leadership roles within early childhood and doctoral research. Graduates have gone on to roles as early years educators at nurseries and play therapists at children's hospitals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood
- Distinctive Approaches in Early Childhood Education and Care
- Equality and Inclusion in Early Childhood
- Foundations of Being
- Research Methods and the Dissertation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Early Childhood Education View 23 other Masters in Early Childhood Education in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
You will be required to have:
- a relevant honours degree (at least 2:2) and work within the early childhood workforce
Some of the modules require an observational visit to a setting offering care and education for children from birth to six-years-old. Where you're not working directly with children you will need to be able to commit to this component of the programme.
All students are interviewed, but importance is also placed on the statement of application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National6300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6300 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK £700 per 30 credits
- Int: £700 per 30 credits
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.