- Extensive knowledge of raw materials, metals production, and their effects on the environment, economy and society. Graduates possess deep scientific and engineering knowledge of many types of primary and secondary raw materials, their suitability for processing and their societal, economic and environmental impacts.
- A systems thinking approach into process design. Graduates are able to apply systems engineering principles to process design and use the best practices to develop processes and products with quantified sustainability in terms of high materials efficiency, low energy use and low environmental impact.
- The ability to conduct scientific research. Graduates are skilled to conduct experimental studies on metals extraction reactors and unit processes at low and high temperatures, gather data and evaluate process performance.
- Expertise to act as a metallurgical engineering expert. Graduates have the ability to apply engineering skills in industry to, for example, develop feasible metals extraction processes, methods to produce clean water and renewable energy or products that enable a high quality of living.
A shift towards sustainable materials and manufacturing processes is occurring in all business and industrial contexts and thus there is a great need for metallurgical processing experts. Graduates are set for an exciting career – having meaningful work by solving problems of significant impact, accelerating the development of new clean technologies and getting a first-hand view of early prototypes years before they are launched to the market. Using their expertise, graduates are capable of carrying out evaluation equipment and process designs as well as developing feasible and sustainable metals extraction processes with the help of numeric simulation tools.
Typical career paths can be divided into three main categories:
- Working in the public sector in a managerial, planning, or research-related function
- Working in the private sector in a leadership, strategic, or research-related function
- Following an academic path and becoming a researcher in the field
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Circular Economy for Materials Processing
- Unit Operations in Mineral Processing and Recycling
- Applied Electrochemistry and Corrosion
- Reaction Engineering
- Chemical Thermodynamics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Materials Science & Engineering Sustainable Development View 23 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The applicant's success in his/her previous studies (those that give basis for applying to the programme) will be evaluated based on the grade point average (GPA). Applicants are required to have a GPA equivalent to a minimum of 3.0 (on a scale 1.0 - 5.0, 1.0 being the minimum passing grade).
- Scanned colour copy of the original official transcript of study records.
- If you have any other higher education degrees you wish to be taken into consideration in admissions, scanned colour copies of degree certificate and official transcript of records.
- Copy of a valid passport or an official government-issued identification card with photo and information on citizenship.
- Proof of language proficiency in the language of instruction of the study option.
- Portfolio (electronic). Most study options in the field of art and design, architecture and landscape architecture require an electronic portfolio in PDF-format.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.