The aim of Film and Television - Film Editing degree from Aalto University is that the student discovers his/her own way of working and is able to plan time use appropriately during the editing process in a large production.
In film editing studies, the student learns to master the artistic, production-related and technical entity of his/her professional field through course teaching and exercises that gradually become more demanding. The goal of teaching is to strengthen the student’s skills and development and critical thinking in accordance with artistic vision.
The Major in Film Editing, part of the MA in Film and Television, equips the student with the ability to master the creative editing process of a long film in the areas of both fictional and documentary film.
A precondition for original and independent thinking is understanding how the viewer’s experiences are produced. Self-knowledge and awareness of one’s own artistic quality and working process are a precondition for working together with various directors.
Graduates can work as head editors in fictional, documentary and animation films. Graduates have been employed is those very positions in different production or TV companies or work as independent professionals or entrepreneurs.
- Master's Thesis Seminar
- Theory, Art and Artistic Practices
- Group Dynamics and Leadership
- Contracts and Copyrights
- Seventh Art
- Artistic and Technical Breakdown of the Script
- Film History
- Editing a Feature Film or Television Series
- Experimental Film
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 12 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in Finland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Scanned colour copy of the original Bachelor’s degree certificate
- Scanned colour copy of the original official transcript of study records.
- If you have any other higher education degrees you wish to be taken into consideration in admissions, scanned colour copies of degree certificate and official transcript of records. If documents are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, scanned colour copies of authorised translations are required as well.
- Copy of a valid passport or an official government-issued identification card with photo and information on citizenship.
- Portfolio (electronic)
- Demonstrating proficiency in English
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.