You can take courses in all three areas or just focus on one of them. Up to 25 elective courses are offered each academic year as well as research seminars that will support you in writing your Master’s thesis. You can also combine modules from other programmes at the Faculty of Arts to your degree, for example, Digital Humanities and Literary Studies.
The Master’s Programme in English Studies at the University of Helsinki offers a wide range of courses in English linguistics, literatures in English and the teaching of English. You can take courses in all three areas or just focus on one of them. During your Master’s studies, you can:
- Develop your expertise in linguistic or literary studies
- Strengthen your understanding of theoretical approaches and research methods within English Studies
- Strengthen your language skills, academic writing skills and presentation skills
- Participate in research projects
- Participate in the Master’s thesis seminar, during which you will write your thesis
An MA in English Studies prepares you for a variety of jobs, and our graduates have been successful in finding employment. If combined with mandatory pedagogical studies, the Master’s degree in English Studies qualifies you to be a language teacher. Alternatively, you can find employment in media or publishing, business or international organisations. English is used globally as the language of science, culture, business and tourism, and experts in English are required in all of these fields.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced studies in the discipline
- Courses or modules from other programme
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
The application period is 1.12. - 4.1.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You have completed or will complete by 31 August a first-cycle degree or a second-cycle degree (degrees from universities of applied sciences included) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete applicable studies required for the master’s programme by 15 January.
- You have sufficient proficiency in Finnish, Swedish or English.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International13000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.