- Providing you with advanced knowledge of global political economy, relationships between the media and the development of democracy, and linkages between governance, organisations and communication
- Empowering you to assess how politics and the media are linked to the forces of globalisation
- Equipping you with conceptual understanding and the theoretical and methodological skills needed to carry out original and relevant research on key societal issues
- Preparing you to engage in public discussions and develop critical reasoning and argumentation skills that are equally important in academia, public organisations and the private sector
Graduates of the disciplines of Political Science and Media and Communication Studies have gone on to work in a range of jobs as experts and consultants in Finland and internationally, in the public and the private sectors as well as in non-governmental organisations. They are mainly employed in the fields of politics, administration, the media and communication, for example at Nokia, Google, IBM, Hill and Knowlton, Miltton, Helsinki Times etc.
The programme also provides graduates with excellent qualification to continue with academic research to pursue an academic career in universities in Finland and around the world.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories of Politics and Communication in the Information Age
- Globalizations: Politics, Economy and Communication
- Methodology courses
- Global Political Economy
- Governance, Organisations and Communication
- Media and Democracy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCommunication Studies International Relations Political Science View 6 other Masters in Political Science in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Helsinki and/or in Finland, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You have completed or will complete by 31 August a first-cycle degree (e.g., bachelor’s degree) or second-cycle degree (e.g., master’s degree) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete applicable studies required for the master’s programme by 15 January.
- You have sufficient proficiency in English.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International13000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.