The field courses range from the northern subarctic region to tropical rainforests. You also benefit from the Centres of Excellence of Metapopulation Biology and Biological Interactions that are located in the department.
Ecology and evolutionary biology offer a perspective on biology from the level of genes to communities of species. You can choose studies from any of these areas, as well as from other master's degree programmes. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology from University of Helsinki is diverse and multidisciplinary: teaching is done with lectures, laboratory and computer training courses, interactive seminars, study tours and field courses. The field courses range from the northern subarctic region to tropical rainforests.
Upon graduating from the Master's degree in ecology and evolutionary biology programme, you will:
- Have mastered the main theories and methods in ecology and evolutionary biology and be able to apply them to practical problems
- Be able to plan and carry out a scientific research project
- Have read the relevant scientific literature and be able to utilise your expertise in different types of work
- Be able to work as an expert in your field
- Be able to write good scientific English
- Be able to work in research projects and groups
- Be able to continue on to doctoral studies
Upon graduating, you have the capability to embark on a wide range of careers, such as University teaching and research tasks, expert and administrative tasks at research centres and companies, in the field of public administration (e.g., the United Nations, the European Union, national and provincial administration, cities and municipalities), international and national organisations and the media. In addition, the degree makes you eligible to continue with postgraduate studies in different areas of biology.
Upon graduating, you will have the expertise for university teaching and research tasks, for a wide range of expert and administrative tasks at various research centres, companies, in the field of public administration (e.g., United Nations, European Union, the state and provincial administration, cities and municipalities), international and national organisations and the media. In addition, the degree provides the scientific validity for doctoral education in different areas of biology.
For Finnish and Swedish speaking students, the programme also provides an opportunity to study towards a biology teacher qualification.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Evolutionary Biology
- Conservation Biology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
The application period is 1.12. - 4.1.
DisciplinesBiology Biodiversity & Conservation Ecology
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You have completed or will complete by 31 August a first-cycle degree or a second-cycle degree (degrees from universities of applied sciences included) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete applicable studies required for the master’s programme by 15 January.
- You have sufficient proficiency in Finnish, Swedish or English.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.