The department offers a lively research community in the setting of an exciting city and region with a rich heritage. Excellent research resources are available for postgraduate study locally (for example in the library’s Special Collections department and its print holdings), online through the library’s database subscriptions, and in easy striking distance of the city.
Members of the department publish and supervise research in a range of areas within the broad fields of cultural, social, economic and political history. We cover the medieval, early modern and modern periods, and offer expertise on specialist topics such as public history, global and transnational history, digital humanities, environmental history, imperial and colonial history, contemporary history and the history of medicine.
Prospective applicants should make contact with a potential supervisor (please see the staff profiles below) before submitting an application to discuss their proposed research questions, the state of the proposed field of study and appropriate primary source material.
Some graduates of this MPhil in History at University of Bristol go into academic posts or post-doctoral positions. Others take their skills in research and written/oral communication into a host of other professions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The best guide to the strengths of the department is the list of staff profiles below – browse these to see who we are and what we do. All staff will welcome contact from prospective postgraduate researchers.
- As a department, we seek to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment in which collaboration and discussion among those working on many different places and time periods comes naturally. As part of a wider programme of organised events for postgraduates within the department, regular research seminars bring together staff and postgraduate students and researchers, with speakers from Bristol and a number of visiting experts.
- The department also provides opportunities to workshop postgraduate research and to discuss research with others across the University and beyond. Specialist workshops on key fields of shared interest provide a focus for research groups.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 170 other Masters in Modern History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Bristol and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- An upper second-class degree or international equivalent. Please note, acceptance will also depend on evidence of your readiness to pursue a research degree.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4665 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4665 GBP per year during 12 months.
UK: part-time (two years)
- £2,332 per year
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.