We have particular expertise in historical and modern sociolinguistics, in modern literature (the novel, poetry and drama, especially in the classical age, the early 20th century and the post-Wende period), the history and politics of German y and Austria since 1800 (particularly the political East), German children's literature, exile writing, and comparative literature. We also benefit from strong links with partner universities and research centres in Germany and Austria.
We welcome applications from graduates wishing to pursue custom-designed research programmes. Interdisciplinary and cross-language research is particularly encouraged and well supported across the School of Modern Languages and the wider faculty. Our postgraduates are fully integrated in a professionally and personally supportive departmental and school community.
You will be part of a departmental reading/study group, and you will have the opportunity to present your work at departmental, school-level research events and colloquia elsewhere within the faculty. We will help develop your full range of academic skills, including publication, and may be able to offer opportunities for undergraduate teaching after your first year.
Dedicated research facilities foster interdisciplinary collaboration through a series of research seminars and other events. In addition, the Multimedia Centre is a specialist language centre comprising a language laboratory, media suite, a library of foreign films, newspapers and magazines, and a screening room.
Graduates from this German programme at University of Bristol develop a wide variety of careers, including in the cultural and heritage sectors and as academics in higher education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Research within the department focuses on five major areas:
- Historical and modern sociolinguistics, and in particular, language policy, language standardisation, and language attitudes;
- The social and political history of Austria and the GDR, including post-1945 and 1990 memory studies;
- The relationship of literature and history in the experience of exile;
- Comparative literature and the relationships of literature to music and the visual arts;
- The literature and culture of Germany and Austria from the 18th century to the present day with particular strengths in writing in the German classical age (Goethe, Schiller), modernism and the literature of the two Germanies.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 21 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Bristol and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- An upper second-class degree or international equivalent. Please note, acceptance will also depend on evidence of your readiness to pursue a research degree.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4665 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4665 GBP per year during 12 months.
UK: part-time (two years)
- £2,332 per year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.