The cultural hub of London is the venue for the MA Theatre Criticism and Dramaturgy at The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama (MA TCD). The course balances theoretical study of theatre and performance with the development of diverse skills for dramaturgy and criticism, with applications in scholarship and across the creative industries.
- A unique course offering routes to dramaturgy and criticism through critical practice and scholarship
- Engages with its London context and embraces the diverse theatre offerings of the city
- Critical practice and theatre scholarship are central to the course
Our approachEngaging with theatre and performance practice of the past and the present, and attuned to the economy and ecology of the landscapes in which it takes place, MA TCD students embrace Central’s unique status as a conservatoire and a University of London college.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Reviewing Performance
- Shakespeare in London
- Archiving Practices, Practising Archives
- Critical Contexts
- Performing Research
- Cultural Landscapes.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no formal closing date for direct applications
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 174 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- write a short (500 words) account or review of a performance that you have recently seen. Your account should state why this piece interests you and how it relates to broader issues in theatre.Please bring this with you to the interview
- choose a piece of published critical writing (e.g. from an academic journal or book) and prepare to discuss this piece of writing at interview. This should be the work of another writer (that is, not your own work), should relate to theatre and performance, and should be published in English and available in an accessible format (e.g. .pdf). If possible, you should send the text, or a link, to the interviewer a week before the interview date.
International14667 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14667 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8417 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8417 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.