The Biological and Environmental Science programme offered by University of Jyväskylä contains two specialization areas (majors):
- sustainable management of inland aquatic resources
- ecology and evolutionary biology
Students are assigned to one of these majors based on their application letter and academic background.
The aquatic major focusses on environmental and biological processes that determine the characteristics and ecosystem services of inland waters and ecologically, economically and socially sustainable use of natural resources. The ecology major focusses on fundamental concepts and theories of ecology, genetics, and evolutionary biology and the ability to use these at the individual, population, community and ecosystem level.
Graduates will be able to:
- apply theories and use the primary literature and empirical observations to answer scientific questions.
- use their knowledge to develop solutions to practical questions.
- obtain, evaluate and incorporate the latest knowledge of scientific problems using appropriate scientific practices and following ethical principles.
Globally, there is a growing need for experts in the field of biological and environmental science. This global demand is expected to continue or even increase due to global environmental problems caused by human population growth and decrease in natural resources.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The programme requires completion of 120 ETCS credits within 2 years, with compulsory (85 ECTS) and optional (35 ECTS) components.
- The compulsory part include transferable skills (20 ECTS: scientific writing, independent seminar work and individual training in a research group, language studies, 20 ECTS), individual thesis work (30 ECTS) and 35 ECTS compulsory subject studies for either Aquatic science or Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. These subject studies include lectures, practicals (in the laboratory, computer class and in the field) and book examinations.
- Specialisation is possible through the selection of the optional courses (35 ECTS) and choice of topic for the individual thesis. This individual research project (e.g. thesis work) with associated courses and seminars, in which independent research skills are developed, is a core part of the programme.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Environmental Sciences Genetics View 11 other Masters in Biology in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A higher education degree that gives eligibility to Master’s level education in the country in which the degree was issued. Applicants holding a degree that gives eligibility to Doctoral programmes, should primarily seek admission to the Doctoral level.
Suitable fields of the degree include e.g.:
· evolutionary biology
· environmental science
Applicants who have already completed their M.Sc. studies in similar degree programmes cannot be admitted to this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Jyväskylä
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.