London is at the centre of a revolution in media content creation, cultural innovation and new business models for media and creative industries. This programme is rooted in the dynamic development of London as a global media city and focuses on the transformation and growth of these industries in an international context.
Media and cultural industries are important sources of employment and economic growth globally. This programme charts the increasing prominence and understands the changes in these industries and how they are governed over time and in different countries.
Media content and cultural products are also important carriers of meaning about the world which we use to construct our social identities and allegiances. This Media and Creative Industries programme at Loughborough University London examines the way in which individuals and organisations consume and use media and culture in everyday life to fashion identities and relationships.
Based in the former Olympic International Broadcast Centre, our neighbours include BT Sport broadcasting company, owners of Europe's largest Sport TV studios. Along with providing a strong theoretical foundation, these connections mean that the programme can also offer unique opportunities for students to gain industry exposure and insights into the practical aspects of the media industry.
- To enable you to gain a systematic and critical awareness of current issues and debates in the analysis of media and creative industries.
- To foster your ability to critically analyse current research and advanced scholarship about economic, social, cultural, political and historical dimensions of the creative industries in a global context.
- To develop your skills and competencies in a comprehensive range of research methods and techniques relevant to the investigation of media and creative industries.
- To enable you to interpret, evaluate and apply advanced knowledge of media and creative industries in an innovative way.
- To prepare you for employment in diverse professional environments through a combination of independent work and industry exposure.
To complete the MA Media and Creative Industries, students must complete 8 x 15 credit modules. Students must choose and complete 2 of the 4 optional modules to complete the MA Media and Creative Industries. All students must complete a Dissertation worth 60 credits. Students will pick a second subject from the list of nominated second subject modules offered by the other Loughborough University London Institutes in the first semester
Career prospectsThis programme equips you with the knowledge and skills for a great career in media. You will be well qualified to work in a variety of communication roles within public, private or third-sector companies, ranging from sport, gaming, and technology to press, policy and community-led initiatives.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Collaborative Project
- Media and Creative Industries: Context and Practices
- Media and Creative Industries: Critical Perspectives
- Creative Industries in a Global Perspective
- Researching Media Industries
Choose two modules only
- Tourism and Heritage Industries
- Media Audiences, Users and Markets
- Cultural Industries and Creative Labour/Cultural Work
- Creative Industries in a Global Perspective
- The History of Media Technology
- Global Cities, Media and Communication
- Media and Social Movements
- Social Identities and Digital Media
Second subject modules
Choose one module only
- Design Thinking
- Sport Media and Marketing
- 12 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 265 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
- Minimum of an upper Second Class Honours degree (2:1) in Social Science, Humanities or associated subjects from a UK university or equivalent overseas qualification recognised by Loughborough University.
- English Language requirements: IELTS 6.5 overall, with a minimum of 6.0 in each subtest (Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking) or equivalent.
International17000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17000 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA10000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10000 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
East London community scholarship
Award value: Up to 100% off the full cost of your tuition fees
The East London Community Scholarship offers up to 100% off the full cost of tuition fees for students who obtained GCSE or A-level (or equivalent) qualifications from The East London Growth Boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Greenwich, Hackney, Newham, Tower Hamlets and Waltham Forest.
Applicants should complete a one page submission outlining their personal contributions to their local community.
Application deadline: 31st July
Award value: 20% off the full cost of your tuition fees
The Academic Excellence Scholarship awards high achieving UK, EU and international students 20% off the full cost of their tuition fees. Any student holding a high 2:1 or first class degree (or equivalent) from a recognised, high quality institution will receive this scholarship.
Santander postgraduate UK/EU scholarship
Loughborough University is pleased to offer up to six scholarships to the value of £5,000 set against tuition fees for prospective full-time postgraduate taught students funded by theSantander Universities scheme.
Students are expected to meet the following criteria:
- Be a permanent resident of Belgium, Germany, Poland, Portugal, Spain or the UK and self-funded,
- Excellent academic record,
- Clearly demonstrate financial need,
- The selection committee will also take in to account the personal statement provided on the application form.
Application Deadline: 20th July
Applicants must have submitted an official application for their chosen postgraduate programme.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.