Whether still life, portrait, fashion, advertising, or artistic photography. Often images aren’t produced spontaneously, but rather created using specific production techniques. That doesn’t just involve technical know-how, but also skill in developing ideas and realizing them using state-of- the-art knowledge in digital development. As a graduate of the Photography master’s program, you’ll be in the perfect position to think conceptually and realize your ideas using knowledge of the most modern technology for artistic or applied work.
The master's program at the University of Europe for Applied Sciences is one of the first in Germany to have recognized this need and offer photography at a master’s level.
One of the most important elements to successfully studying photography is the ability to experiment and further develop your personal style. To offer you precisely that, our campuses have an extensive range of media technologies on offer. These include a green screen studio, fantastically equipped photography studios, an analog darkroom, scanners, printers, editing rooms for film technology, as well as sound studios. Students have the opportunity to borrow various analog and digital camera systems, professional lighting, and other technical accessories so that they can work on their projects off campus too.
Career options with a master's degree in Photography from University of Europe for Applied Sciences.
The Master’s degree provides you with the necessary qualifications to work as a successful freelance photographer, as an artist, or to take a leading role in an agency or company for example within the fast-paced media industry. You will have the skills and competences of working in interdisciplinary, multicultural, and international teams which is sought after in art institutions, design agencies, at publishers and magazines, in galleries, film and media industry, or the art market.
- Photographers for advertising and magazines, company communications, and events
- Photographic artists
This programme is available in both Berlin and Hamburg study location.
- Research and Concept
- Methods and Techniques
- Presentation and Documentation
- Photographic Theory
- Theory of Space
- Visual Culture
- Ethics of the Image
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
Start dates are simmilar for both Berlin and Hamburg study locations.
- Low cost of living
- Buzzing international city with a great lifestyle
- No German required (everyone speaks English)
- Campus in great location (city center, well-connected)
- Headquarters of many international companies and start-ups
- Great for entrepreneurs and freelancers
- Campus in well-connected location
- Relatively low cost of living (compared with other European cities)
- Vibrant city with a great lifestyle and an abundance of leisure activities
- Beautiful location (famous harbor and lots of bridges)
- Big city vibes without being too overwhelming
- 1 year: 60ECTS
- 1.5 years: 90 ECTS
- 2 years: 120 ECTS
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 26 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Europe for Applied Sciences and/or in Germany, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Official translation to English or German for those documents in different language.
- German taught programmes needs both English / German language certificate
- Minimum English language level is B1
- German taught programmes needs both English / German language certificate: Minimum English language level is B1
- Include up to 10 visual or interactive projects. This should be original work that highlights a range of your abilities and interests.
- This might include illustrations, graphic novel spread, poster series, games, character development, photo essays, collages, paintings, sculptures, marketing or social campaigns, short films, animations, applications or websites, personal creative projects, as well as text-based conceptual projects.
- All work should be accompanied by a short text reflecting on the project or work. The portfolio should be collected in a PDF format, and sent through WeTransfer or uploaded onto a website.
International13000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA8976 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8976 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU applicants: from 748 € monthly
Non-EU applicants: from 12,600 € yearly
Living costs for Berlin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
You can apply for a partial scholarship for the length of one semester. The selection process is managed by the university. Other options are school loans with flexible monthly payment options from financial institutions.
The University of Applied Sciences Europe (UE) is state-recognised and students therefore have various possibilities to finance their studies. One of these options is to apply for a scholarship.
UE offers its applicants several university scholarships to financially support the tuition fees, but there are also numerous external providers.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.