It will introduce you to the history of terrorism, from state sponsored terrorism in the Cold War period and urban terrorists in Western Europe to the emergence of radical Islamism in the form of Al-Qaeda and ISIS. You will explore the dilemmas of preserving democratic liberties whilst developing counter-terrorism strategies and assessing the necessity and effectiveness of anti-terrorism legislation in the UK, the US and beyond.
You will consider the wider political context and causes of radicalisation and terrorist violence, including the analysis of situations in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria and Iraq as well as an in-depth study of the geo-politics of the Middle East.
This Security, Terrorism and Insurgency programme at University of Leeds provides you with an ideal preparation for a career in the international political arena, equipping you with critical thinking, research and communication skills and in-depth knowledge sought after by employers.
Recent graduates have gone on to work in the UK and overseas for government, the police, think tanks, and peacebuilding organisations. Organisations graduates have gone on to include the Ministry of Defence; Metropolitan Police; International Alert; the Army and beyond. Many also pursue further study by commencing PhD research.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Conflict, Complex Emergencies and Global Governance
- European Defence and Security Analysis
- The Politics of Brexit
- The Rise of China
- Contemporary Politics of the Middle East
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPolitical Science Terrorism & Security View 400 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
- A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) or a non-UK equivalent in a social science, humanities, or other related discipline. Relevant experience will also be taken into account.
Documents and information you will need include:
- Original or certified copies of your transcripts
- Original or certified copies of your degree certificate
- Original or certified copy of your IELTS/TOEFL results (if English is not your first language).
If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There may be help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.