In the consecutive, research-oriented English Language and Linguistics degree offered by the University of Freiburg students develop an understanding of the structure, usage, and variability of the English language in its worldwide manifestations, as reflected by current research in general linguistics. The program's focus is on modern English(es); important details concerning English linguistic history are adequately covered. Furthermore, students can pursue their own individual interests, choosing between modules in Discourse and Communication, Psycholinguistics and Language Acquisition, as well as Corpus Linguistics and Language Technology.
Through participation in conferences and workshops alongside work on research projects, students are introduced to the standards of academic research and learn to use common methods of quantitative and qualitative linguistics in the context of empirical research. Especially successful students may see the master's program as an opportunity to begin an academic career; in other cases, the program prepares its students for a wide range of professions requiring global perspectives paired with linguistic competence, intercultural sensibility, and close attention to language, texts, and information (e.g. corporate communication, editorial work, public relations, etc).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Structure of Modern English
- Present-Day English: Regional, Social and Stylistic Variability
- Linguistic Change and the History of the English Language
- Discourse and Communication
- Psycholinguistics: Language Acquisition and Bilingualism
- Corpus Linguistics and Language Technology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 49 other Masters in Language Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application form
- A certified copy of your undergraduate diploma
- A certified copy of your transcript of records outlining the contents of your undergraduate degree
- Proof of successful completion of an English language examination (if necessary)
- Two letters of recommendation from academic teaching staff (in German or English)
- A statement of intent (two to three pages, in English), in which the applicant states his or her reasons for seeking acceptance to the MA program
- A 2,500 word essay written in English on the subject of the applicant's choice, which relates to one of the English Language and Linguistics modules
- A chronological CV (two to three pages in length, written in English)
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1500 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
€161 registration fee per semester for all students
Living costs for Freiburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.